Zoning Permits

Permit for Outdoor Dining & Other Commercial Activities

At a Special Township Committee Meeting held on June 3, 2020, the Warren Township Committee introduced Ordinance 20-19, which amends the Zoning Ordinance to allow outdoor dining and outdoor commerce consistent with Governor Murphy’s Executive Order #150 permitting such activities.  This Ordinance also permits businesses that provide yoga, martial arts, or similar instruction to obtain a permit through the Recreation Department for such use at the Municipal Complex or Wagner Farm.  Businesses who are interested should contact the Warren Township Recreation Department at 908-753-8000, ext 270 or 271.  IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL EATING ESTABLISHMENTS CURRENTLY PERMITTED TO HAVE OUTDOOR DINING NEED NOT TO APPLY FOR A ZONING PERMIT BUT SHALL ABIDE BY THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH GUIDELINES WHICH ARE ON THE TOWNSHIP’S WEBSITE AND ARE AVAILABLE IN THE CLERK’S OFFICE.

View the Zoning Application for Outdoor Dining and other Commercial Activities (PDF).

View the New Jersey Department of Health Protocols for Establishments Offering Outdoor Dining (PDF).

Tree Permit

Required to take down any trees in the Warren Township. The purpose of this permit is to regulate and provide guidance to prevent the indiscriminate and excessive removal, cutting and destruction of trees in order to control, regulate and prevent conditions which cause increased surface drainage, sedimentation and soil erosion, cause decreased soil fertility and impair the stability and value of real estate, all of which conditions are detrimental to public safety, health and welfare. The permit fee is $25 and generally four trees per acre are allowed per year to be cut down with this permit. Residents must submit the permit to the Zoning Office and wait for approval to be issued before cutting the trees.

View the Tree Permit Application (PDF).

Sign Permit

Required for any signs, permanent or temporary. Some signs need to go through the Construction Department (those that will have footings and/or electrical). The application must be approved by the Zoning Official before the sign is placed. The fee is $25 and in 2 copies of a survey indicating setbacks and location of sign replacement are required. It is helpful to have a pictorial representation of the sign. Sign permit zoning ordinance is located in 16-25 of the Township Ordinances.

View the Sign Permit Application (PDF).

Fence Permit

Fence Ordinance is located in section 16-5.28 of the Township ordinances. Generally, a 3 foot open fence is allowed in the front yard as long as it is no closer than 3 feet to front property line, and four feet open fencing is allowed in front yard as long as no closer than 10 feet to the property line. A maximum height of six feet fencing is allowed from the side of the house and in the back.

Fences for pools compliance are normally built when a pool is put in and is part of the pool construction site plan and those requirements an be found on the construction portion of this website.

View the Fence Permit Application (PDF).

Shed Permit

Shed permits are required. For sheds under 200 square feet use the Zoning Shed Permit application and show on a survey where you would like the shed. It must be located within the setback requirements for your property. For sheds over 200 square feet you must get a construction permit.

View the Shed Permit Application (PDF).

New Construction, Additions, or Alterations

View the Zoning Permit Application (PDF).