- Office of Emergency Management
- Storm Preparation & Aftermath
- Be Prepared for a Storm
Be Prepared for a Storm
After our experiences with major storms causing extended power outages for many, we have learned that disasters do and will happen here. How prepared are you for another event?
Now is the time to prepare for a disaster, and the most important part of preparedness is to have a family disaster plan. Your plan should definitely include what your family and you will do if you lose electricity for a week or more. If your home is supplied by well water, have a plan for a place to go or consider buying a generator.
Essential Needs to Assemble a Disaster Plan
- Clothing and bedding (one change of clothing per person, one blanket per person)
- Disaster supply kit (updated every six months)
- First aid kit
- Food (a three day supply of non-perishable food per person)
- Special items:
- Baby items
- Credit card
- Extra set of keys
- Important family documents
- Tools and supplies (such as flashlight, batteries, battery-powered radio)
- Water (one gallon of water per person per day)
For More Information
More detailed information and suggestions can be found at the following websites:
Develop Your Plan
- Develop a family contact list for every member (work, school, and cell phone numbers)
- Create an emergency contact list (out of area contacts, utility companies, physicians)
- Decide upon reunion points to meet (outside your home and outside the neighborhood)
- Keep informed. To access emergency information during a disaster, visit the home page.
- Online daily newspaper Warren Patch
- Warren Cable Station at channel 15 (Cablevision) or channel (Fios)
- Somerset County Emergency Alert System Radio Station: WNJT 88.1 FM
- Area newspapers such as The Echoes Sentinel and the Star Ledger
- Plan ahead for the care of pets (crate, leash, food )
- Know how to turn off water, gas, and electricity in your home
Warren Township has a Reverse 911 (R911) system to communicate with residents during an emergency. If you lose electricity, you may receive the R911 messages on your cell phone by placing your cell phone number into the system. Visit the Warren Township Police website for more information.
If you are or if you know of an individual with special needs who would have difficulty in meeting those needs during an emergency, sign up for Register Ready, a free confidential New Jersey online database that identifies residents with special needs in order for emergency responders to know who they are, what the needs are, and where they reside. Register online or contact the Township Clerk for a paper form. You may also call 2-1-1 to register by phone.
Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Training
Want to know how to be more self-sustaining and knowledgeable about what to do during an emergency? Join our Warren Township Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) by taking the CERT course next time it is offered.
The CERT course will train you in basic disaster response skills such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. CERT is an all-hazard, all-risk training program designed to teach you how to protect yourself, your family, your neighbors and community during a disaster situation.
If you are interested in taking the course when it is next offered, email Jane Asch with your name and contact information.